Have you thought of taking your family on a trip abroad but worried it’ll be a disaster? Well, don’t be!
Choosing the right destination for that first international trip is the key. Recently, Jamie Gallovich, from the FROSCH Marketing Team, traveled to Ireland, and she shares her experiences and tips below. Take a peek!
This summer, my husband and I celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary. To honor the occasion, we chose to take the family to Ireland. Many friends asked, “Why Ireland?” You might be wondering the same thing when, in fact, Ireland is a fantastic choice for families. It’s the perfect blend of nature and history, incredibly safe, and extremely friendly!
Castle Stay and Hawk Walk
Ireland has an amazing variety of options to stay at a castle, and an overnight stay should be included in your itinerary. We decided on a stay at Dromoland Castle and were very pleased. The accommodations are lovely, the staff is attentive but not stuffy, and the castle grounds are breathtaking. Work with your FROSCH Travel Consultant to choose the best accommodations for your family and to receive our FROSCH exclusive amenities.
If you choose a stay at Dromoland, do a Hawk Walk as this should not be missed. During your falconry experience, prepare to be mesmerized as you watch a Harris hawk swoop down from the trees and land right on your hand. Our falconer provided great insight into this ancient form of hunting and sport. In addition, he educated us about the Harris hawks, falcons, and owls on property at the Falconry School. If you ask our kids, this was the best part of our trip.
Instead of a whirlwind trip around all of Ireland, we traveled less, but experienced more with a weeklong exploration of County Kerry. We based ourselves in Kenmare and did day trips each day. For families, this concept works wonderfully. In this region, you can walk where Luke Skywalker walked with a boat trip to Skellig Michael, hike Killarney Park, drive the Ring of Kerry, enjoy an Irish Homecoming, and watch sheep dog demonstrations. The Sheen Falls Lodge is perfectly located to experience all these activities and provides FROSCH clients with exclusive amenities.
Of course, it’s difficult to talk about Ireland without mentioning the capital of Dublin. Skip the car here since parking is a nightmare. Have a driver, use public transportation or simply walk to avoid the congestion headaches. Highlights of your Dublin visit will be the Book of Kells in Trinity College, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and Dublin Castle. And, if you happen to be near Press Café, stop in and order the Banana Bread French Toast. It’s fabulous! Our daughter still talks about this meal.
Traveling overseas with your family might be a daunting thought, but the memories created last a lifetime!
1. Ireland is one of the most affordable places to have a chauffeured experience for your entire trip. We highly suggest opting for a driver over a rental car, particularly due to all of the traffic.
2. Contact your FROSCH Travel Consultant early for a castle stay, especially for larger families. A family of five will need two rooms, and castles typically don’t have many triples.
3. Research your ancestry and hope you have Irish heritage. Everyone will ask you!
4. Don’t underestimate your children’s attention span. We stopped at Trim Castle about 45 minutes before the guided tour of the Keep. Despite expecting them to be bored, our kids asked to wait around for the tour, and they thoroughly enjoyed the guided visit.
5. Adopt a Sheep. You won’t be sorry.
Is Ireland calling your name? Contact your FROSCH Travel Consultant to get started on a trip to the Emerald Isle!